Some email reminders for the week:
1. Don’t send it. Ok, but don’t copy everyone and their dog.
2. It probably is too long. Aim for 5 sentences (http://five.sentenc.es/). How? Use footnotes instead of that paragraph in the middle.
3. Start with what you need people to do after reading your email. End with it too.
4. Tell them what to do instead of replying to this email, i.e., only if you avoid an email domino effect will this be worthy of people’s time.
5. Add receivers at the end. Do a quick estimate of the total time your email (reading + action requested) will require. Reality-check yourself.
6. No, the subject line goes at the end. Only after you can summarize what your email is about in 5 words. Include action item preferably. Even better, tell them the purpose of your email: provide information (I), or request action (A).
7. Add 1 or 2 to this list. Share with coworkers and make this the official company email etiquette. Ask 3 friends to do the same.